Benefits of Cannabis
- Pain relief: One of the most well-known benefits of cannabis is its ability to provide pain relief. It has been shown to be effective in reducing chronic pain caused by conditions such as arthritis, multiple sclerosis, and cancer.
- Anxiety and depression relief: Some studies have shown that cannabis can help reduce symptoms of anxiety and depression. It is thought to work by increasing the levels of certain neurotransmitters, such as dopamine and serotonin, responsible for regulating mood.
- Improved sleep: Many people report that using cannabis before bed can help them fall asleep faster and stay asleep longer.
- Increased appetite: Cannabis has been shown to stimulate appetite, which can benefit people who struggle with anorexia or similar eating disorders.
Risks of Cannabis
- Addiction: Cannabis can be addictive, and regular use can lead to dependence. It is estimated that around 9% of people who use cannabis will become addicted.
- Impairment: Cannabis can impair cognitive and motor function, making it dangerous to drive or operate heavy machinery while under the influence.
- Mental health problems: Regular use of cannabis has been linked to an increased risk of developing mental health problems, such as depression and psychosis.
- Respiratory problems: Smoking cannabis can damage the lungs and increase the risk of respiratory problems, such as bronchitis and lung infections.